The Lift Program is Tulsa Transit’s door-to-door paratransit service for persons with disabilities who have been determined ADA Paratransit Eligible and who are five (5) years of age or older.
What is door-to-door service?
Tulsa Transit’s door-to-door paratransit service offers transportation service utilizing lift-equipped vans. Passengers who are not able to ride the regular fixed route service may be eligible for door-to-door paratransit service. The Lift Program eligibility program is administered by ADARide, a national paratransit services company. The process for applying for Lift Progaam service is described below.
Lift Program drivers are trained in the special needs of persons with disabilities. Passengers must provide their own escorts to assist them with other travel needs. Special vehicle requests cannot be accepted.
Lift Program Guide to Paratransit Services – download one of the files or view the full guide below.
A GUIDE TO PARATRANSIT SERVICES
The LIFT paratransit service is a door-to-door public transportation service for persons with disabilities who are unable to use Tulsa Transit’s fixed route buses. Paratransit is a shared-ride service operated with accessible vehicles. It is designed to be comparable to fixed-route service.
Tulsa Transit provides paratransit service within Tulsa city limits. In certain limited cases where fixed-route buses travel near the city limit line, the paratransit service area extends beyond the city limits to meet the requirements of the ADA. For clarification on the service area boundaries, please call 918-582-2100.
If a customer lives outside of the service area they may use the LIFT Program if: 1) they apply and are determined eligible for paratransit services; 2) they can get to a location within the service area to be picked up, and 3) they are traveling to a location within the service area.
Persons with disabilities may be eligible for ADA complementary paratransit service on the basis of a permanent or temporary disability. According to federal regulations, paratransit services must be offered to persons whose disability 1) prevents them from getting on and off the bus or riding the bus, or 2) prevents them from traveling to or from a bus stop in Tulsa Transit’s fixed-route bus system. This could be due to distance, weather, terrain, or architectural barriers.
1. Phone ADARIDE toll free at 1-877-232-7433 Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. to obtain an application form. The Tulsa Transit Call Center does not mail applications, nor will LIFT Program applications be available at local agencies or health care facilities.
2. When you call ADARIDE, the customer service representative will get some basic information from you to begin the registration process. You can request a paper copy of the application and professional verification form be mailed to your home, or ADARIDE offers a more accessible option for those who want to complete the process on-line.
3. When you receive the application or go on-line to complete the form, please read the instructions and fill out every question completely. The application includes a Professional Verification Form that must be completed and signed by a qualified and licensed professional. If this section is not completed, the application will be returned. The decision regarding eligibility for LIFT Services is a transportation decision, not a medical decision. However, it is essential to have information from the licensed professional to assist in making a decision regarding eligibility.
4. Send the completed application to:
6151 West Century Blvd., Suite #304
Los Angeles, CA 90045-5307
5. Upon receipt of your completed application, the contractor will have 21 days to make a determination regarding your eligibility. A determination letter will be mailed letting you know if and under what circumstances you will be eligible to ride the LIFT.
• Unconditional eligibility – an individual is eligible for all trips on the LIFT.
• Conditional or trip-by-trip eligibility – an individual may be eligible for certain trips on the LIFT.
• Temporary eligibility – an individual is eligible for the LIFT on a temporary basis. The length of time varies depending on the customer’s transportation needs, but does not exceed one year.
Temporary eligibility will be given if the eligibility determination process exceeds 21 days.
Applicants who are determined eligible will be issued an identification (ID) card. LIFT customers who want to ride the fixed-route bus for free will be required to take their LIFT ID cards issued by ADARIDE along with another form of identification that includes a photo to the Denver Avenue Station, 319 S. Denver. Our staff will make you a photo ID card for just $1.00 that you can use on the fixed-route bus to obtain the free fare.
What does it mean when my eligibility is “conditional”?
Eligibility for the LIFT may be on a “conditional” basis, meaning service will be provided only for those trips in which ADA paratransit eligibility standards have been met. Riders will be required to use Tulsa Transit’s fixed-route bus service, or find alternative transportation, for trips that are not deemed ADA paratransit eligible.
How do I appeal my eligibility determination?
Applicants who are denied ADA complementary paratransit eligibility will have an opportunity to appeal the decision within 60 days from the date of the determination letter. Applicants who appeal may be asked to participate in an in-person assessment, will be allowed to present additional information regarding their functional abilities, and offer any documentation or advocate supporting their claims. The original certification determination will remain in effect until the final decision has been made and the appeal is closed. Applicants wanting to appeal should write a brief letter stating the reason(s) they feel the decision was in error, or they can contact ADARIDE at 1-877-232-7433 to state a desire to appeal. Appeals also can be initiated through ADARIDE’s website at www.adaride.com.
Does my certification expire?
Yes, eligible riders are certified for services for a period of up to four (4) years. The eligibility period will depend on the LIFT participant’s specific disability and, if temporary, its duration.
How do I get recertified?
Recertification for services will be required of LIFT customers prior to expiration of their current eligibility period. The LIFT will notify participants of the recertification requirements approximately 45 days prior to the expiration date.
Are out-of-town visitors able to use the LIFT?
Out-of-town visitors who present ADA eligibility documentation from another jurisdiction can use the LIFT. If a visitor does not have ADA eligibility documentation, the LIFT will request proof of disability and then grant the visitor presumed eligibility for 21 days of service within a 365-day period. The service days do not have to be consecutive. If visitors need LIFT service more than 21 days in a one-year period, they must apply and be certified locally.
Call Center Hours of Operation
Weekday Service – Monday through Friday: 4:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday: 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sunday and Holidays: Closed
No trip will begin before 4:45 a.m. Monday through Friday and 5:00 a.m. on Saturday. No trip will begin later than 8:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
The LIFT operates the same days as fixed route bus service. No service is provided on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
LIFT Scheduling Hours
Monday-Saturday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Requests for next day trips are received via telephone answering machine Sundays and holidays.
One-Way Cash Fare: $3.50
One-Way Guest/Companion Fare: $3.50
One-Way Fare with Phone Ahead Fee: $4.50
Personal Care Attendants/Escorts: Free
Children 4 Years and Under: Free
Buddy (must be LIFT certified): Free
LIFT Coupons: 10 rides for $35.00
Short Distance Fare (available for trips with distances of 6 miles or less)
One-Way Cash Fare: $3.00
One-Way Guest/Companion Fare: $3.00
One-Way Fare with Phone Ahead Fee: $4.00
Personal Care Attendants/Escorts: Free
Children 4 Years and Under: Free
Buddy (must be LIFT certified): Free
LIFT Coupons (Good for Short Distance Fares Only): 10 rides for $30.00
“Will Call” Fare (Premium Same-Day Service): $7.00 (regardless of trip distance)
All passengers must pay exact fare when boarding the vehicle. Drivers do not carry change. LIFT Coupons can be purchased at the Denver Avenue and Mid-Town Memorial Stations and at some Quik-Trip locations. In addition, customers can purchase LIFT coupons on-line or via mail by sending a check or money order to:
LIFT Coupon Books
P.O. Box 52488
Tulsa, OK 74152
When purchasing LIFT Coupons by mail, please add $.75 for all orders of $200.00 or less, or $1.50 for all orders exceeding $200.00 to help defray the cost of mailing.
Please note: Drivers are not allowed to accept tips or gratuities.
The LIFT offers two types of service: demand service and subscription service. Demand service is provided when a customer calls the Call Center to make a reservation for service. Subscription service is a standing reservation for customers who make the same trip one or more times a week. (See What is Subscription Service?)
LIFT trips can be scheduled Monday through Saturday. Customers can talk to a Customer Service Representative by calling 582-2100 or 584-7209 (TDD for speech and hearing impaired). On Sundays and holidays, customers can leave a message on the Call Center answering machine for trips needed the next day.
Customer Service Representatives are available from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Reservations can be made up to seven days in advance. To schedule a trip, call 918-582-2100 and be ready to provide the following information:
• First and last name
• Date traveling
• Pick-up address (including building/business name, nearby landmark, specific pick-up information like entrance, entry code for any security entrance)
• Time you need to be at your destination
• Destination address (including specific drop-off information like entrances)
• If a personal care attendant (PCA/escort) will travel along
• If guests other than PCA will travel along (including children)
• If a Buddy (certified LIFT customer) will travel along (must provide Buddy name and LIFT ID number)
• If customer, PCA/escort, guest(s), or Buddy will be using a mobility device
When scheduling return trips, customers should allow plenty of time to complete their business so they are ready when the vehicle arrives. Be aware of opening and closing times at the destination location to avoid waiting outside the building before or after business hours. When scheduling trips, please follow these suggestions:
• Allow adequate time to reach the destination
• Allow extra time for the pick-up and drop-off of other passengers
• Allow for traffic conditions and weather delays
As established under the ADA, the LIFT can offer travel times one hour before or one hour after the requested travel time. For instance, if you request a trip in the 8:00 a.m. hour and all the routes running in that hour are full, the Customer Service Representative will offer you pick-up times in the 7:00 a.m. hour or the 9:00 a.m. hour.
It is always a good idea for customers who book trips for the LIFT to record the name of the Customer Service Representative who booked the trip along with the date and time the reservation was made. Please note that all calls made to the Call Center are recorded for quality assurance.
Trips will be confirmed at the time they are scheduled. Please confirm dates, times, and addresses before ending the call to ensure the accuracy of the scheduled trip.
Subscription service is limited to riders traveling to the same place at the same time at least once a week for a minimum period of 30 days. When a LIFT customer’s certification expires, that customer’s subscription service automatically cancels. In addition, subscription service automatically cancels anytime a customer is suspended due to no shows and/or late cancellations. Upon renewal of the certification or at the end of the suspension period, subscription customers must call 582-2100 to renew subscription service.
ADA regulations prohibit Tulsa Transit from scheduling more than 50% of the available trips in any given hour for subscription customers. Therefore, there may be times when subscription service is not available at the time requested. In the event a customer is unable to schedule subscription service, trips must be booked daily or up to seven days in advance.
LIFT vehicles will arrive any time within a 30-minute pick-up window. Customer Service Representatives give the pick-up window at the time the trip is booked. It is very important for customers to write the pick-up window times down so there will be no confusion on the day of travel. Please be ready to board the vehicle immediately upon arrival.
The LIFT is a door-to-door, shared-ride service. Most riders can wait inside their residences or pick-up locations until the driver knocks on the door or rings the doorbell. There are instances in which the driver will be unable to provide door-to-door services. Tulsa Transit’s policies regarding door-to-door service are:
• Drivers cannot go to locations where the vehicle must be backed. Backing LIFT vehicles is strictly prohibited by company policy.
• Drivers must be able to find a safe place to park; the parked vehicle must not block or impede traffic. Alley pick-ups and drop-offs are not allowed.
• Drivers must be able to maintain sight of vehicle. In other words, if the driver cannot see his or her vehicle from the door of the pick-up location, door-to-door service will not be provided.
• Drivers will not go to doors that are more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
• Drivers will go to the outermost door at a pick-up location where they will knock on the door or ring the doorbell.
• Under no circumstances will drivers enter residences or other pick-up or drop-off locations.
• Drivers will identify themselves by name, position (LIFT driver), and will verify the drop-off location with the customer.
• There must be a safe, accessible path of travel from the customer’s door to the vehicle in order for door-to-door service to be provided.
• Drivers will provide no assistance up or down steps for persons in wheelchairs or push them up excessively steep ramps.
• If a rider cannot be left unattended at the destination location (as a result of his or her disability or impairment), a companion or personal care attendant is required to receive the passenger upon the vehicle’s arrival.
If Tulsa Transit cannot provide door-to-door service for operational reasons (as outlined above), riders must be wa
The LIFT uses a variety of vehicle types including lift-equipped buses and vans, sedans, and vans. Requests for special vehicle types cannot be accepted under any circumstances.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN MY VEHICLE ARRIVES?
Passengers are expected to be ready to board the vehicle upon its arrival. When arriving within the 30-minute pick-up window, LIFT drivers will wait five (5) minutes for a rider to board the vehicle. The LIFT is not responsible for calling the customer when the vehicle arrives or before leaving the pick-up location. If a rider does not board within the 5-minute wait time, the driver will mark the rider as a No-Show and will depart the location.
When the vehicle arrives, customers are required to present their LIFT ID cards and the exact fare or a valid coupon. The driver cannot transport customers without the required fare.
WHAT IF MY VEHICLE IS LATE?
If the vehicle has not arrived by the end of the 30-minute window, please call the Call Center at 582-2100. In the event the pick-up is 30 minutes or more outside the window, customers will not be charged for the trip. For example, if the pick-up window is 10:00-10:30 a.m. and the vehicle does not arrive until 11:00 a.m. or later, there will be no charge.
Because the vehicle will be shared, customers must limit their packages to two (2) large paper grocery bags, or an equivalent of small plastic bags. Drivers will assist with up to two parcels that individually weigh no more than 15 lbs. Bags or packages weighing more than the limit will be the responsible of the passenger. Customers are allowed to bring on board only what they, with the assistance of the driver, can carry in one load. Passengers are not allowed to get on and off the vehicle to load packages. Once on board, packages must fit in the passenger’s lap during transport. A customer who violates these limits will be expected to arrange for alternative transportation (i.e. taxi, friend, or family member) for the return trip.
The LIFT will make every attempt to accommodate standard wheelchairs, scooters, and other mobility devices. Standard mobility devices are defined as those that do not exceed 48” in length, 30” in width, and 600 lbs. in total weight. Persons in mobility devices larger than these standards may be denied LIFT service. Please be sure wheelchairs or other mobility devices are clean, safe, and in good working condition before traveling aboard the LIFT.
The American Safety Council recommends that customers in wheelchairs board by backing onto the lift for safety purposes. This puts the majority of the weight of the wheelchair and customer closest to the vehicle and gives the most support.
Travel time on the LIFT is comparable to the amount of time it would take to make the same trip using our fixed-route bus service. The average fixed-route trip length is one to one and one-half hours, and a trip on the LIFT may exceed or fall below that average depending upon the circumstances.
Passengers are asked to follow these rules of conduct to ensure the safety and comfort of all riders and the driver:
• No eating, drinking, or smoking
• No fighting, throwing of any object, pushing, rough behavior, or vulgar language
• No firearms, weapons, or fireworks of any kind
• No hazardous chemicals, materials, or batteries of any kind
• Shirt and shoes must be worn at all times
• Radios, CD players, tape players are not to be played aboard the vehicle unless headphones are used and the volume is adjusted so only the passenger can hear
• For safety reasons, please limit unnecessary conversation with drivers when the vehicle is in motion
• Children age 12 years and under must be accompanied by an adult or older passenger
• Pets must be stored in a pet carrier except service animals
• No abusive, threatening, or obscene language or actions
• Infants and toddlers must be transported in car seats in accordance with state law
Riders who violate the rules of conduct are subject to penalties, up to and including suspension of service. Note: Passengers who engage in physical abuse or cause physical injury to another rider or the driver may be subject to immediate and permanent suspension, and possible criminal prosecution.
How can I appeal a suspension of service?
A customer who disputes the basis for a suspension or termination of service can appeal within 14 calendar days from the date the suspension letter is mailed. Customers must submit requests for appeals in a timely manner.
WHO CAN ACCOMPANY ELIGIBLE PASSENGERS?
Personal Care Attendant/Escort
A personal care attendant can accompany a certified LIFT passenger at no additional charge. Determinations regarding a customers’ need for a personal care attendant are made at the time of certification. Those who are certified to have a personal care attendant must reserve space for the attendant when scheduling trips on the LIFT.
Guests are welcome to ride with LIFT customers for $3.00 per trip. Due to limited space, each rider is allowed one guest per trip. Customers must reserve space for the guest, whether adult or child, when scheduling their trips. Seating for more than one guest is on a “space available” basis. Children age 4 and under travel free and must be accompanied by an adult.
Guide dogs and other service animals are permitted on all LIFT vehicles and are allowed to accompany passengers.
The Buddy System allows up to three LIFT customers (the customer booking the trip and two other certified customers) to ride for the price of one. The booking customer and the Buddy must be picked up at the same location and time, and must have the same return trip for them to be considered Buddies. The names of all Buddies and their LIFT ID numbers must be provided when the trip is scheduled. All LIFT customers, including Buddies, must show their LIFT ID cards to the driver when boarding the vehicle.
When customers no longer need trips they have scheduled, whether demand or subscription service, they must call 582-2100 to cancel. Cancellations must be received by Call Center staff no later than 4:30 p.m. the day before the scheduled trip. Depending upon the time cancellations are received by the Call Center, they are classified in one of three ways:
Advance Cancellations: Trips canceled by 4:30 p.m. the day before the scheduled trip will be counted as Advance Cancellations.
Same-Day Cancellations: Trips that are cancelled between 4:30 p.m. the day prior to the trip and up to two (2) hours before the scheduled pick-up time.
Late Cancellations: Trips that are not canceled at least two (2) hours before the scheduled pick-up time.
What are the penalties for Late and Same-Day Cancellations?
For every three (3) Same-Day Cancellations, a rider will be charged one (1) No-Show. Customers will be charged one (1) No-Show for every Late Cancellation (including cancellations at the door).